Vehicle Registration

The Town Office has license plates for new vehicle registrations. All varieties of plates are available, except for vanity plates. Vehicles can be registered during regular office hours.

New vehicle registration

On a new registration through a dealer sale, you need proof of insurance, title application and the dealer certificate.

On a new registration transfer, you need the old registration, insurance card on the new vehicle and title or title application, bill of sale or dealer certificate.


On a re-registration, you need to bring in your old registration document, insurance card and mileage.

Rapid Renewal Service

Hudson offers Rapid Renewal Service, an online service of the state for residents to renew their motor vehicle registrations.

This online service makes it possible for you to renew your motor vehicle registration and to pay your local excise tax in one simple transaction.

Who can use this service?

  • Registrants with an excise-taxable vehicle who live in a participating municipality.
  • Registrants with a commercial or passenger vehicle.
  • Registrants with a non-taxable trailer.

Island use, emergency/coach, vehicles over 12,000 pounds GVW, apportioned, special mobile equipment, tractors, municipal and state vehicles must be renewed in person.

To renew online, click on this link: